The Source Young People's Charity
Statement on Safeguarding the Welfare of Children
The Source Young People's Charity believes that it is always unacceptable for a child or young person to experience abuse of any kind and recognises its responsibility to safeguard the welfare of all children and young people, by a commitment to practice that protects them.
We recognise that:
- The welfare of the child / young person is paramount
- All children, regardless of age, disability, gender, racial heritage, religious belief, sexual orientation, or identity, have the right to equal protection from all types of harm or abuse.
- Hidden Harm and the risk of abuse can exist through domestic violence and substance abuse in the home to children and young people. We need to work to engage those at risk to safeguard against harm.
- Working in partnership with children, young people, their parents, carers and other agencies is essential in promoting young people’s welfare.
The Source will:
- Identify children or young people who may be at risk of abuse and alert the appropriate agency
- Take steps to ensure that all those who work with children and young people are safe to do so by adhering to a Safer Recruitment Policy
- Enable staff and volunteers to work with children and young people to identify, manage and report risk to children and young people to relevant agencies through a comprehensive induction, training programme, supervision and appraisal process.
- Ensure that our services are welcoming, friendly and accessible to children and young people and enable them to access help when they need it.
- We will undertake a child-centred approach to effective safeguarding.
- Identify a named person who has overall responsibility for child protection within the agency to ensure that policy and procedures are followed.